A Positive Attitude is Everything in Dentistry
Apr 24, 2019
I sat there in disbelief.
Although I’m not sure why because I’ve seen this scenario many times before in the past year.
Sickened is a good word for how I felt.
Embarrassed and humiliated… again…
My beloved Manchester United, were 2-0 down at half time against Newcastle United.
In the midst of a total meltdown.
But… we would end up winning 3-2.
There is much to learn, even if you don’t much care about football.
- First, is the old saying,“It doesn’t matter how you start, it’s how you finish.” Manchester Utd looked down and out at half time… but turned it around in the end.
- You can start strong, but you need to finish strong to win. The beginning of a career in dentistry is usually the most exciting part, right? But what makes the difference between success and failure, is what you do when you “get into the weeds.”
- How you handle adversity is what makes the difference.Adversity is something we are all going to face at one time or another, in one form or another. You may be aware I ranked 1st in the UK in National Recruitment for my DFT year. You may not know that I didn’t get into dental school first time round and had to re-take my Chemistry A-level. My worst week. We’ll both face curveballs at various times in life.
- Things happen in dentistry that we can’t control. But what we can always control is how we respond to them.
- Every decision matters and the result of a decision might not be immediately realised. Think carefully and don’t act impulsively.
Have a great week.
Dr Leonard J Maguire BDS LL.M MBA
General Dental Surgeon